Tuesday, April 06, 2021

Why didn't I see this item in the Indian media?

 India moved one step closer to the completion of the world's highest bridge. It's being built over the Chenab:

The Chenab Bridge is part of India’s Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla rail link project (USBRL). The 1,315-meter-long bridge is being built at a height of 359 meters. Once completed, it will be the highest rail bridge in the world, and 35 meters higher than the Eiffel Tower.

I came across this item in Russia Today of all places, complete with a gripping video of the work that's going on and a tweet from Railways minister Piyush Goyal. I wondered why I had to see item in Russia Today and not in an Indian paper. A google search shows it's there at Indian news sites on the Net. But I'm afraid I didn't see in any of the print versions I get at home. If it was carried, it wasn't carried prominently enough.

Makes me wonder why it is that there is so  much negativity and gloom in the media and so little of celebration? The Chenab Rail Bridge deserved front page treatment in my view, along with photos. Is it all about man bites dog alone constituting news?


No comments: